Gallery pieces and Booklet.

Although I'm combining the two projects displayed in the gallery, they have very different meanings for me. The first I'll talk about is the booklet, Through The Gaps.



Cover page of Through The Gaps

Through the Gaps represents my early experience at Lawrence University. I've felt that by joining a community much larger than myself, I've been exposed to the fact that my life opinions and values are not objective; they are a result of the specific ways in which I've been raised, the gaps I've seen the world through over the past 18 years. "The main obstacle to a clear understanding of the effects of the new media is our deeply embedded habit of regarding all phenomena from a fixed point of view(McLuhan, 68)." My project takes this idea that media nor our lives can be seen from one point of view. Each photo I take possesses a subject that is distorted from plain sight because of the gap the image presents the subject through. The image on the cover is titled "traffic," in this case, time is the distorter. Some of the other gaps are more literal/physical, and some are similarly abstract, like traffic. The point through them, though, is to reiterate that not one thing in our lives is seen objectively; everything we perceive is seen through a finely tuned gap unique to ourselves.

The two gallery pieces I chose were selected for much simpler reasons. Titled "flight" and "Run" the photos are simply in composition. 
Run
Flight
Unfortunately, my computer hasn't saved the final version; this is the RAW version.

The most prominent connection between the two is the composition of the sky. While the bird has a foreground compared to the player, who exists in perpetual blue, I loved how they both expressed the deep sky behind them. The other reason I chose these is because they both seem so ready. The player straps his gloves, ready to play, the bird searching for food. Although completely different species, two subjects in front of a vast expanse sit in preparation for a hunt. "Now all the world's a sage" (McLuhan, 16).


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Aaron's lens

Short film

How I learned to take pictures