How I learned to take pictures

 As I look at what to write about in this next blog post, I can't help but find it inadequate to write about my development as a photographer and artist without mentioning Scott Streble. Scott is a Minneapolis-based photographer who specializes in non-profit photography, and served as my mentor during a month-long period towards the end of my senior year. During this month-long period, I helped Scott with his shoots, observed his actions in photography and how he interacted with his clients, and took photos for some of the shoots with him. During this time under Scott, I found the technique and skill it takes to turn an artistic style from a vision into a photo. He taught me properly how to frame, capture depth, and focus on emotion in a subject. He explained how to find the client's wants and needs in a photo while adding a personal touch. He also taught me that photography is not really about the camera and technique, but mostly about the people and subjects you are capturing.


Scott's photo of a mother and her calf

My photo of the same mother and son

I do think that while everything I learned from Scott is invaluable information that I will always use in my photography, there is one important lesson that I hinted at earlier that trumps all of his tips; photography is always about the people. Scott would always mention over and over that if he had enough money all his shots would be pro bono and that the money he has made is only an added benefit of doing what he loves. Now, I don't know if I can replicate the same passion he has or the generosity he would always give to his customers. However, I do think there is one thing I, along with everyone else in the world can replicate from Scott. I can pursue the things I love to do for no reason besides that of doing it. Not one time when I was with him, whether it was a lighthearted shoot with someone he had known for years or a new client who had too many expectations, did Scott seem like he did not want to be there taking photos.


Photo of Scott taking pictures of Highland Cattle

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Aaron's lens

Short film