Boredom

 The goal of my project is simple. I want to make the viewer of my exhibition come to terms with the fact that above all else, they can not stand to be bored. This idea came from two passages from completely different books/genres. 

"As soon as information is is acquired, it is very rapidly replaced by still newer information."

Page 63 of The Meaning is The Massage

"Boredom is the root of all evil."

Søren Kierkegaard 

These two quotes, when put together I think form a very potent message that Kierkegaard himself states many times throughout his work; our new found access to entertainment has disallowed us from being bored. "We have now become aware of the possibility of arranging the entire human environment as a work of art, as a teaching machine designed to maximize perception and to make everyday learning a process of discovery. (68, McLuhan)" Essentially, we have reached the point where we expect everything in our lives to entertain us, and with such an expectation comes a constant running from boredom. I want the viewer to come to terms with such an idea. While more explicitly explained in the slideshow, I essentially want the viewer to be forced to choose between boredom and discomfort. And I think for the most part, people will choose the latter. By doing so, I hope to make viewer question why they were so unable to be bored for just a few minutes of their entire life of entertainment.


https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1UQgT1hhdcRDms3szfyvivhtK2rAyZQAUXG8i-LZQCMk/edit?usp=sharing

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Aaron's lens

Short film

How I learned to take pictures